Saturday, September 22, 2012

Canning, canning, CANNING!!!!!

    It has been so fun and such a blessing to be able do some canning and a little freezing this year. Time to take my new canner that I got on sale from Farm n Fleet last year and put it to good use. I got corn and plums (free) from Golden Harvest, green beans and rhubarb from my mom, and apples from my mother in law.  I have been busy, busy, busy the last couple of weeks and loving it. I was so blessed to have my sister Hope here last week and help me with my apples and plums.
There is the list of what I was able to do with it.

   Freezer:
     10 quarts of corn
     several quarts of apple (for pies!)
     lots of baby food!

   Canned:
     10 pints of green beans
     7 quarts of apple sauce
     3 pints of apple butter
     2 pints of plum jelly
    7 quarts of rhubarb syrup

 
Austin watching Hope run apples through the apple strainer.
Green beans
Rhubarb syrup
Apple sauce, apple butter and plum jelly.

Austin and his Aunt Hope outside.

Rhubarb pie for Noah
   Canning brings back lot of memories of my childhood and I get warm fuzzy feelings! I love it and it makes me feel productive and like my mom! I love being like my mom and I strive to be like her in so many ways. She is a busy lady from sun up to sun down. You should see her pantry and freezers. Throw a chicken butchering weekend in there as well. I love the country life and the do it yourself from scratch food preparations! So thankful to the Lord for his many blessings!
    Well I now have my canning all done and my canner and strainer put away for the year. Our pantry shelfs and freezer are full (for Austin as well) and I am now ready for fall. It is so in the air.  Time to bring out the fall decorations!
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love fall! I've been doing some canning too. There's nothing like putting up your own food.

    ReplyDelete